The Board of Management of St. Mary’s National School recognises that child protection and welfare considerations permeate all aspects of school life and must be reflected in all of the school’s policies, practices and activities.
Accordingly, in accordance with the requirements of the Department of Education and Skills’ Child Protection Procedures for Primary and Post Primary Schools, the Board of Management has agreed the following child protection policy:
1. The Board of Management has adopted and will implement fully and without modification the Department’s Child Protection Procedures for Primary and Post Primary Schools as part of this overall child protection policy.
2. The Designated Liaison Person (DLP) is Mr. Killian O’Reilly
3. In its policies, practices and activities St. Mary’s will adhere to the following principles of best practice in child protection and welfare:
- Recognise that the protection and welfare of children is of paramount importance, regardless of all other considerations.
- Fully co-operate with the relevant statutory authorities in relation to child protection and welfare matters.
- Adopt safe practices to minimise the possibility of harm or accidents happening to children and protect workers from the
necessity to take unnecessary risks that may leave themselves open to accusations of abuse or neglect;
- Develop a practice of openness with parents and encourage parental involvement in the education of their children; and
- Fully respect confidentiality in dealing with child protection matters
- The school will also adhere to the above principles in relation to any pupil with a special vulnerability.
4. The following policies are relevant to Child Protection and have been ratified by the Board of Management of St. Mary’s N.S:
- Code of Behaviour
- Health and Safety
- Health and Safety
- Attendance Strategy
- Rainbows Programme
The Board has ensured that the necessary policies, protocols or practices as appropriate are in place in respect of each of the above listed items.
5. This policy has been made available to school personnel and the Parents Association and is readily accessible to parents on request. A copy of this policy will be made available to the Department of Education and Skills and the Patron if requested.
6. This policy will be reviewed by the Board of Management annually.
This policy was ratified by the Board of Management in Dec 2012