ENROLMENT POLICY for SPECIAL CLASSES FOR PUPILS WITH AUTISTIC SPECRTUM DISORDERS
This Policy is an addition to St. Mary’s N.S. Enrolment Policy of June 2015. This policy will apply in conjunction with the procedures set out in Enrolment Policy of
Admission Procedures and Criteria
Children will be accepted into the special classes for pupils with Autistic Spectrum Disorder as follows:
1. Children attending special classes will be of primary school age.
2. Each special class will cater for a maximum of six children with autistic spectrum disorders
3. The enrolment of children in special classes will be within the remit of the Board of Management
4. Parents/Guardians may register for admission on official school registration form
5. All psychological reports/assessments/records must be made available to the Principal at the time of registration. The diagnostic criteria for autistic spectrum disorder as outlined in DSM V will apply. There needs to be an indication in reports that the child would benefit from a special class setting in a mainstream school.
6. On receipt of the items in no.4 and 5 above the Principal will consider the application as follows:
Review the reports
Contact parents/guardians by telephone
Arrange to observe the child in their current placement
Meet with parents/guardians to discuss the application
7. The Board of Management will make the final decision and inform the child’s parents/guardians.
8. The child’s continuing enrolment will be periodically reviewed in the light of their progress and adaption to the school
Board of Management October 2015